The RSPCA Qld presents an exciting opportunity for a Veterinary Nurse with experience in Australian native animals to join their team at the Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre, Eumundi.
You will provide vital help to all creatures great and small by ensuring that the health and welfare needs of all animals in the care of the RSPCA Qld Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre are met and are of the highest standards practical.
In this role, you will:
• Triage incoming animals;
• Nurse animals in the direct care of the Rehabilitation Centre ensuring they are kept comfortable, medicated and fed;
• Ensure patients in Bird Room, Mammal Room and outside aviaries receive medications according to veterinary instructions;
• Monitor the health and progress of wildlife in our care and relay progress of orphans to manager so release preparation can be sought;
• Assist the veterinarians in treating animals;
• Perform routine medical and laboratory tests;
• Perform daily cleaning and maintenance duties, including maintaining a high level of hygiene during cleaning/maintenance of animal enclosures;
• Prepare food and conduct feeding of animals in accordance with diet requirements, feeding schedules and procedures;
• Maintain detailed animal records;
• Receptionist duties as required, i.e. records of incoming and outgoing patients;
• Providing a high standard of customer service both for members of the public and wildlife carers.
To succeed in this role, you will have:
• A completed Certificate IV in Veterinary Nursing, at minimum;
• Experience in a captive exotic or native animal environments;
• Experience in manual restraint of a majority of Australian native animals;
• Knowledge of dietary, husbandry and housing requirements for a wide range of native animal species;
• Knowledge and confidence to determine the potential of a wildlife patient’s ability to survive with a good quality of life post treatment and release, and ability to support this decision.
• Previous critical care and orphaned nursing experience will be advantageous.
This is a part time position, working a minimum of 16 hours per week, with hours rostered between 6am and midnight on a rotating roster. Weekend work will be required.
Applications should be forwarded to the Human Resources Manager via email at: email@example.com. Ensure you place the title EUMUNDI in the subject box of your email.